For 2024 the aim remains to post a review at least every other Friday and to complete the Bookpacking reading journey.

21 November 2014

The End of the Shelf

No individual review this week but a retrospective on the completion of the “Along the Library Shelf” reading journey.

It took about four years to move alphabetically through the local library stock, choosing a book from an author new to me. It has been a worthwhile exercise and I have read and enjoyed books that otherwise I would probably not have considered, with only two or three where I wished I had chosen better.

The objective of increasing variety, getting out of any reading rut, has been achieved. My partiality for male authors was less pronounced with a 15:11 ratio (compared with 75:6 for the three years 2008 to 2010); and though a majority of books were set in the UK (15) and USA (5), there were six located around the world (Argentina, Iceland, Japan, China, Mongolia and Greece) with others making excursions to Hawaii, Malaysia, Nigeria, Arabia and France.

In terms of genre, the main fare was 20th and 21st century fiction (10) and crime/thrillers (5) but historic fiction, humour, ghost/horror, short stories and biography were all represented. Two gaps were science fiction (surprisingly as I used to read a lot) and westerns (less surprisingly as I’ve only ever read one, two if you count The Sisters Brothers).

Two of the ‘new to me’ authors (Chris Cleave and David Mitchell) impressed me sufficiently to read further works; and I would happily read more by at least ten of the others.

So overall it was a successful and enjoyable journey that I will consider doing all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment